Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Lent Approaches

I have not been writing very much lately, nor really doing many church-related things. I have been getting ready to make a major career change, and during the past couple of months I have been re-doscovering how easy it is to forget about the spiritual life, to forget about God. The other day I looked at my calendar and was almost startled at how close Great Lent is. I seem to have a good memory for things I want to do, but not so good for remembering things that I need to do for my soul. During times like this I find it is important to take a deep breath, and avoid feeling too guilty. The guilt has already served its purpose by reminding you to remember God. If we focus on the guilt and forget what a joyful thing it is to remember God, we can drive ourselves away from the church altogether. All this racing around after secular pursuits is what causes unhappiness. Learn to live in the moment, and in that moment think exactly about what you are doing and how you are feeling, and above all remember to thank God that you get to experience that moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment