Sunday, March 6, 2011

Delicious Lenten Recipes

I have been having some trouble thinking of topics for this blog lately. There is so much happening in the world right (a dangerous distraction, especially this time of year) and I am struggling to digest all of this information as well get ready for Great and Holy Lent (no dairy after tomorrow everybody!) I want to keep this blog active, so I thought I would post some fasting approved dishes. For me, all too often fasting means peanut butter sandwiches and a few pasta dishes. Nothing is wrong with either of these things, but they get boring fast and boredom is a good way for the weak (like myself) to end up sneaking in the occasional meat or dairy in, which is of course totally unacceptable. The key is to try and make our fasting joyful, and have a little fun finding new things to cook. Our various Orthodox ethnic traditions all have a variety of traditional lenten dishes, and this can be a good place to start. Other ethnic foods, especially Indian and various African nations (such as Ethiopia) have a strong tradition of vegetarian and vegan food. Personally, I am a fan of Japanese, Chinese, Thai, and other East Asian cuisines. Nothing is better than the annual Annunciation sushi feast! If you are not into exploring the exciting world of international cuisines, the internet features an almost unlimited number of vegan and vegetarian cooking sites with thousands of recipes. Not all of these are created equal. I find it important to read reviews and look at ratings. I find food blogs to be particularly helpful, as the writer is normally very enthusiastic about finding the best recipe for a dish. So, starting tomorrow, I will try and post a recipe a day, as well as the website they came from. I am not sure how many of you read this blog, but you feel inclined you can leave a comment or send a message with links to your favorite lenten recipes and food sites on the web. I will be beginning with authentic Louisiana red beans and rice, a favorite of mine from long before I was Orthodox and still a staple today, especially during fasting days and seasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment